Are you looking for tricks on how to trick printer ink cartridge HP? Then you are in the right place! Hewlett Packard (HP) is a top printer brand.
It’s popular for producing high-performance and efficient printers for home and business. However, some of its printer models have their share of negative press.
Customers accuse HP of manufacturing cartridges that give “low ink” warnings, yet they have ink.
HP also locks their ink cartridges; you can’t use them on other brands. However, after lawsuits, HP allows the use of third-party ink cartridges and doesn’t lock its HP ink cartridges.
Regardless, it’s possible to trick HP ink cartridges in case of any errors. The article offers a step-by-step guide on,
How To Trick Printer Ink Cartridge HP
Old HP Printer models have ink level monitoring chips. There are several ways to outsmart the HP ink cartridges chips. You can also use the tricks on other printer brands, such as Epson printers and Canon printers.
Check The Ink Cartridge
It’s the easiest and most ideal thing to do. Ensure the cartridge installation is okay, and all the plastic coverings aren’t still intact. If the cartridge is old, shake it to loosen the ink.
“Low Ink Level” Warning
Low ink levels warning are common in HP printers, but sometimes they are errors. Dismissing the warning will allow you to print. Press the ” OK ” button when the “low ink level” warning pops up on your HP LCD screen; press the “OK” button.
Rebooting your HP printer is so straightforward. Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove all the ink cartridges
- Shut down the printer and remove it from the power cord
- Reinstall the ink cartridges and don’t power on the printer for about 10-15 minutes
- Plugin the printer and power it on
- Print jobs to confirm if the cartridges are fine. Suppose the printed pages are clean it’s okay.
Override The Cartridge Memory
Normally, chips store data for one to five cartridges. You can follow these steps if you have old ink cartridges and still want to use them.
- Uninstall the brand new ink cartridges
- Install the old ink cartridges and try printing a page
- Repeat the second step using old ink cartridges
- Put new ink cartridges and try printing. It should remove the printer’s log and reset the new cartridge memory.
However, use the following steps if you do not own old ink cartridges.
- Uninstall new ink cartridges
- Power off the HP printer
- It should remain off for a few minutes (10-15), then power it on
- Power it off again for some minutes. Repeat this process at least 4 times. It replaces the memory on the HP printer chip with blank logs.
- Install the cartridges
- Test them to see if they’re properly functioning.
Enable Bidirectional Support on Windows PC
The printer’s driver will directly communicate with the printer if you enable the bidirectional support. Therefore you’ll be able to determine the HP printer’s state. Here is how you can enable this support.
- Open settings or the control panel
- Click on the printer control panel.
- Click the right button and choose “Printer properties.”
- Select “ports”
- Click on “disable ports” and “enable bidirectional support.”
- Apply and save the changes
Tips For Outsmarting The HP Ink Cartridge Electric Chip
In new HP model printers, the chip is located in the ink cartridge. Here are the steps to outsmart HP ink cartridges’ electric chips.
Check The Cartridge
Like in the previous step-by-step guide, it’s the first and easiest step. Ensure the plastic covers aren’t intact and the cartridge installation is correct. If it’s an old ink cartridge, vigorously shake it to make the ink light.
Rebooting the machine is so straightforward. Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove all the ink cartridges
- Shut down the printer
- Remove it from the socket
- Put back the ink cartridges. It should remain off for10-15 minutes
- Plugin the printer to the power socket and turn it on
- Print pages to confirm if the cartridges are fine
Replace HP Printer Ink Cartridges
To use old ink cartridges on the latest HP models, you must activate them. Here are the steps to follow:
- Uninstall the new ink cartridge
- Reinstall the old ones into your printer.
- Remove the old ink cartridges after about 10 minutes and reinsert the new ones.
Reset The Ink Cartridges
Press the ink cartridge’s reset button using a paper clip. It will reset the ink cartridge chip’s memory storage, and you can continue printing.
Disable Cartridge Protection
Most new ink cartridges come with cartridge protection that locks them to the HP printer. After installing the cartridge, it will only work with that printer. Your HP printer will reject a third-party cartridge since it doesn’t have cartridge protection.
You can disable your ink cartridge protection because of the following reasons.
- You intend to use a remanufactured or refilled ink cartridge
- Your HP ink cartridges are brand new but offer an error messages
Here are the ways to disable cartridge protection without an internet connection.
- Go to your PC “settings” or “control panel.”
- Click on “printer settings.”
- Locate the HP printer’s Icon and open
- Tap on “printer properties” and click “disable HP cartridge protection.” Alternatively, you can unclick “automatically update printer.” How to disable HP cartridge protection depends on the printer model.
- Apply and save the changes
You can also disable the cartridge data protection while the printer uses the internet. Here are the steps:
- Open your browser, i.e., Opera Mini, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox
- Enter your HP printer’s IP address, and then search Icon.
- The printer’s web server will open.
- Click on settings
- While in settings, click on HP cartridge protection
- You then Disable HP cartridge protection
How Can You Override My HP Ink Cartridge Not Recognized?
Like HP cartridges, Epson ink cartridges, and Canon ink cartridges commonly get “Not Recognized” errors.
However, before fixing the issue, you have to know the reasons. Here is a guide on finding the reasons behind the errors and troubleshooting them.
Possible Cause for the Error
It would be best to do these checks to ascertain the cause of the “Not Recognized” error.
- If you have been using the cartridge for a while, you might receive this message if they’re empty.
- Ensure you’re using genuine HP ink cartridges on your printer. Most generic ink cartridges will return the error message.
- Check if the cartridges are in the correct slots. If you put the black cartridge in the color slot, it’ll give the error.
You need to double-check all these, don’t assume everything is okay. You might have made a slight mistake during the installation.
Check The Cartridge With The Issue
If you replace several inks or toner cartridges, the error is across the whole set (including the previously working cartridges). Then the fault is from one cartridge, and you can easily identify it. Here is how:
- Uninstall all the new ink cartridges
- Put back the old cartridges (empty cartridges).
- Restart the printer to remove the error message. You should receive a message that the old ink cartridges are empty.
- Start installing the new ink cartridges (one by one) until your get the error message again. Troubleshoot the indicated cartridges.
Clean The Ink Cartridge Contact Tip
The copper banding is the contact chip that communicates with the printer. Gently wipe it with a pencil eraser or cloth to remove dirt or dust. Reinstall the cartridge and restart your HP printer; it should remove the error.
Hard Reset The HP Printer
After cleaning the contact tip and reinstalling the cartridge, the printer can remember the error. Hard resetting the printer is easy; turn off the printer from the wall socket. Wait for about 30 seconds and power it on. Often the error disappears after a hard reset, and you can continue printing.
However, if you still receive the error message, your ink cartridge is faulty. Contact your manufacturer for a replacement.
Resetting Remanufactured Or Refilled Ink Cartridges
Newly refilled cartridges and remanufactured cartridges don’t have a proper functioning reset button—some lack chip serial numbers.
You’ll have to buy a special chip reset device. Make sure it’s compatible with your specific printer brand. The method does not only work with HP printers but also with other printer brands like Canon printers.
Amazingly most third-party cartridges companies make electronic chip re-setters. Therefore you can find one compatible with your printer at an affordable price. You can buy online or in regular printer shops.
The USB-powered models of chip-reset devices are the best. There are battery-powered chip re-setters, but they aren’t usually powerful enough to reset a cartridge fully. Therefore choose a chip re-setter that offers a more stable power supply.
How to trick printer ink cartridge HP? If you own a printer, you’ve experienced some issues. It can be error messages or other functional issues. The listed tricks will improve your printing experience by overriding the HP ink cartridge’s errors or issues.