Do you own an HP printer and want to know how to scan on Mac with HP printer. Today HP has amazing newer models that typically work well together with Mac. Scanning using on Mac using your HP printer is so straightforward.
All you need to do is install Mac software for your HP scanner. Scanning will be easier if the software can directly access the scanner.
Ensure there’s no software mismatch between the Mac OS and HP drivers. Below are the simple steps on,
How To Scan On Mac with HP Printer?
Setting up and scanning jobs from the HP or using your computer camera to capture photos and documents is easy.
Note that you’ll need to create or sign in to your HP account to use all printer functions. You can try HP Easy Start on your Mac if the HP smart app doesn’t work. Visit the HP official website.
1. Install The HP Smart App
You must install the software from HP’s official website or the driver. Set up your HP printer with your Mac. If you intend to use your printer on a Wi-Fi network, do the following.
- Put your Mac and HP printer near the Wi-Fi routers and turn on the Wi-Fi.
- Wirelessly connect the Mac to your network. Do not use an Ethernet cable in this setup.
- Enable your Mac’s Bluetooth to enable the HP Smart app to detect your printer.
Note that the HP Smart app is downloadable from the Mac App Store. Make sure your VPN is off before downloading the app.
- If it’s the first time you’re setting up the HP Smart app, you’ll have to sign in or create an HP account. You can only access all your HP printer functions when having an account.
- Choose add printer from the software (usually the + sign). It’ll search and list your printer. The instructions will help you correctly complete the device’s setup.
There are instances where you won’t find the printer during the Wi-Fi setup. In case of this, restore the Wi-Fi setup mode from your HP printer. You should then close and open the Smart app and try adding your HP printer again.
2. Use The HP Smart Scan Option
The app allows you to save and share your scanned pictures and documents using Mac. Here is how you can use the software.
- Open it and click on “Scan.”
- It will open the “Get Started” screen. Tap on “Get Started.” Note that the “Get Started” screen appears when selecting Camera, Import, or Scan for the first time.
- You’ll have to choose between scan, import, or camera options.
- Place your original document on your HP printer scanner glass if you select scan. Alternatively, you can put it in the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder).
- You then choose scan job type, resolution settings, color, size, etc. Confirm that everything is okay, and then click scan.
- It’ll still give you a preview of the scan; you can edit it from here. If it’s okay, click on “Done.”
How To Solve Scan Problem Between Your Mac And HP Printer
You might want to scan but can’t find your HP printer on the scanner list. Or maybe the scan works but doesn’t finish the job. Here are some of the solutions for such issues.
However, note that the solutions might slightly differ depending on the scanner model. If the solutions don’t fix your HP printer, you can refer to the manual that came with it.
1. Check Power Connection
Ascertain that your HP printer is correctly into a power outlet. You should then check if the power cables are securely connected and turn it on.
2. Reboot Your Mac and HP Printer
It’s typically an easy step to resolve scanning issues. You can do this with a simple power cycle. It’ll be able to reset both your HP printer and Mac device.
After the reset, try setting up the software and reconnecting your HP printer and Mac to see if they’re working.
3. Update The HP Printer Driver Software
The issue might be that your HP drivers are outdated. Therefore check the official HP or HP support website to learn about driver updates. In case of any updates, download and install them.
But even if you get no updates, you can uninstall the current ones and reinstall them. It will offer you a clean starting point for your HP printer tests.
4. Update Your Mac Operating System
You should check your Mac to find out whether it needs software updates. If you’ve enabled notification, it means Apple pushes the changes to your PC. However, it’s good to check for updates physically. If there are any, install them.
5. Delete and Reconnect The HP Printer
If you’ve connected your HP printer over the Wi-Fi network, there might be an issue with IP address conflicts.
However, there are several other connectivity issues. Therefore start by deleting the scanner; you can do this from the system preferences.
Go to the “Print & Scan page,” then click on your scanner name and press the “-” button. You should then add back the scanner using the “+” button. Follow the given wizard instructions to add the HP printer successfully.
6. Troubleshoot Hardware Problems
If your scanner isn’t working, it might be an issue. One of the best ways to fix this is by troubleshooting it from your Mac. It can help fix the issue.
7. Run The System File Checker
It’s a built-in feature that check for corrupted system files and automatically repairs them. Your HP printer might not be working properly because of corrupted system files.
Is It Possible To Directly Scan a Document by Email?
Yes, email scanned documents are one of the ways to go paperless. Scanning and sending documents directly to email is the scan-to-email process.
Other than the scan-to-send method, there are other ways you can scan and share documents through email.
What Should You Use The Scan To Email Feature For?
The feature is not ideal for use when sending very important documents. It’s because it lacks the tracking capabilities of your printer. Therefore you won’t be able to know whether the recipient got the message or not.
You should only use the method if you can manually confirm whether the recipient has received the document.
You can confirm through text message, call, or email. There are other issues with the scan-to-email feature, such as:
- The recipient can’t directly respond to the email since it is from a no-reply email.
- Customizing and typing longer email messages is tricky.
How To Use The Scan To Email Function
Each printer model has unique steps for executing the scan to email process. Overall these are the step to follow. It should only take ten minutes.
- Put your document on the scanner glass or ADF (Automatic Document Feeder)
- Go to the digital menu, choose scan to email, and then press the scan button.
- An option allows you to select a photo or resize the scanned document.
- After choosing the right settings, enter the recipient’s email address and send the file.
Why Is Your Scan To Email Not Working?
There is a possibility of your scan-to-email feature not working. However, the top reason behind this is a missing network configuration setting. You’ll need to add this setting to your HP printer manually.
Usually, the missing settings are always the primary or secondary DNS servers. In HP printers, they are known as alternate DNS and preferred DNS addresses.
The DNS server is a feature that allows the HP printer, smartphone, or server to communicate over the internet.
So when setting up the scan to email on your devices, ensure at least one DNS server is listed. If there’s no DNS, then your HP printer won’t be able to communicate with the internet. It means it won’t be able to send scanned documents through email.
What Is The Best DNS Server Settings To Use?
You’ll have to add one if there’s no DNS server address in the HP network settings. You can use the DNS server on your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Each ISP usually comes with its DNS and is free to use. Alternatively, you can choose to use Google’s public DNS.
Note that the issue of the scan to email feature not working doesn’t only apply to HP printers. It also affects printers from other brands such as Epson, Canon Etc.
Therefore in case, it happens on any of your other printers, you should confirm whether the DNS settings are correct. It’s something you can easily overlook.
The steps on how to scan on Mac with HP printer are simple. Amazing, you don’t need special software to do the scanning.
You’ll be good to go if you install the HP Smart app. Before scanning, ensure your printer is connected to a power source and your Mac. You then follow the instructions, and all will be okay.